- Experiences on Airbnb spread the benefits of tourism to lesser known neighbourhoods
- First destination outside of London for Airbnb Experiences expansion in the UK
Today, Airbnb launches Experiences in Edinburgh, making it easier for people across the city to share their passions and interests with visitors from around the world. As part of its drive to deliver a global end-to-end travel platform, travellers and locals can now choose from more than 30 Edinburgh-based Experiences designed and led by local experts. Experiences on offer in Edinburgh include; kayaking in the Scottish wildlife, making shortbread with a professional baker, learning to cook with a top food blogger and taking a running tour with a personal trainer and nutrition coach.
Famously blending a combination of history with a modern vibrant Festival City culture, Edinburgh has become a popular destination for both families and millennials. In 2017 the Scottish Capital was named Best UK City Break for Families by the Family Traveller Awards in 2017¹. Edinburgh is also one of the top travel destinations in the UK, alongside London and Oxford, for millennial travel².
To bring Experiences in Edinburgh to life, Airbnb has announced a strategic tourism partnership with VisitScotland, to help increase the economic benefits of tourism and travel to more places across Scotland. As part of this partnership, among the first between a national tourism organisation and a cutting-edge hospitality platform, both parties are working together to promote a more authentic experience in Scotland, with the launch of Experiences on Airbnb in Edinburgh as the first step.
Experience Hosts on Airbnb in Edinburgh are talented artists, local entrepreneurs, and seasoned experts from professional bakers to sea kayakers, TV presenters to surfers, and they’ll offer a variety of ways to see the city.
Below are several more Experiences across Edinburgh now available. The average cost per Experience is under £35 and 20% of Experiences are Social Impact Experiences, where 100% of your trip costs go to a local non-profit organization.
“Airbnb travellers visiting Edinburgh can now unearth hidden gems across the city and immerse themselves in the unique arts, culture, and food for which the city is renowned. For locals, Edinburgh Experiences are a great way for people to earn extra money from their interests and meet new people.
“We are delighted to partner with VisitScotland to launch Experiences, spread the benefits of authentic tourism, drive economic growth and empower Airbnb hosts to be ambassadors in Scotland.
“Last year, guests staying in a listing on Airbnb in Scotland spent over £1 million per day in local communities. Edinburgh Experiences will help bring in a new form of tourism to the city, while boosting the local economy even further.”
James McClure, General Manager for Airbnb UK
“To be the first UK city outside of London to host Experiences on Airbnb is testament to Edinburgh’s reputation as a must-visit destination.
“We know that many visitors now want to combine their traditional tourism experiences with something special that takes them off the beaten track, giving them an authentic experience of Scotland that they won’t get elsewhere. This innovative initiative by Airbnb will offer visitors to Edinburgh just that – a chance to explore a different side of our capital and meet some of the many warm and welcoming people that live here.
“It is also a chance for existing tourism businesses, as well as individuals with a passion for the city, to be creative and consider new products and offerings that might appeal to the Airbnb traveller.
“Scotland is full of unforgettable experiences. We’re delighted to be working with Airbnb on this exciting new addition to their offering and look forward to seeing more locations across the country joining Experiences in the future.”
Riddell Graham, VisitScotland Director of Partnerships
Highlights of the new Experiences on offer include:
- Shortbread Baking Masterclass: Guests will learn how to make award winning shortbread from start to finish with the owner of Pinnies and Poppyseeds Bakery, as well as some of their famous sweet treats like Millionaire Shortbread Truffles.
- Sea Kayak with Scottish Wildlife: From North Berwick guests will learn how to sea kayak and head out on a journey around the islands of Craigleith and Lamb. Guests can stop on some of Scotland’s most beautiful beaches, pass under historic Tantallon Castle and paddle into the smallest harbour in Scotland.
- Make Sourdough Bread with Breadshare: Guests will assist in the baking for the day by moulding bread dough and preparing ingredients. The group will be able to sit together, enjoy coffee and baked treats and get to take home some sourdough as well.
- Edinburgh From Above Running Tour: This is the chance to experience Edinburgh from above! In this challenging, yet stunning 8km run, guests will run above the city and view some of Edinburgh’s most historic monuments.
- Cook Scottish Dishes with a Blogger: This workshop will teach you how to create the rustic, comforting dishes of the Scottish kitchen. Guests will learn how to make vegetarian haggis, tattie scones, spiced neeps, and for dessert, cranachan. Everything will be made from scratch, and guests will be given handwritten recipe cards, meaning you can take a wee piece of Scotland back home with you.
Since launching Trips, Experience bookings on Airbnb have grown 2500% in the past year, driven by 5,000 Experiences across 60 destinations. Airbnb will expand Experiences to 1,000 destinations by the end of 2018 including places such as Easter Island, Tasmania and Iceland.
All experiences in this press release are intended purely to inspire and illustrate. Airbnb does not recommend or endorse these listings or any other experiences on the platform.
Questions, comments, or other inquiries can be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.